SamWell Institute for Pain Management
Pain Management Specialist located in Colonia, NJ, Livingston, NJ & Englewood, NJ
Shoulder pain can be tied to an injury, arthritis, frozen shoulder, or many other issues. Dr. Jay M. Shah is an industry-leading physician who understands the challenges of shoulder pain. They are here to help with effective natural treatments at SamWell Institute for Pain Management in Colonia, Livingston, and Englewood, New Jersey. Book your appointment through the online scheduling tool or by phone today.
Shoulder Pain Q & A
Why do I have shoulder or arm pain?
There are several possible reasons for your shoulder or arm pain. Some of the most common causes of shoulder pain can include:
- Tendinitis: shoulder tendon inflammation
- Tendon damage: tendon tears, whether partial or full
- Bursitis: damage to the fluid-filled sacs that cushion shoulder joints
- Frozen shoulder: stiffness, tightening, and pain that restricts shoulder movement
- Dislocation: arm bone that's dislodged from its socket in your shoulder
- Arthritis: both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis can cause arm and shoulder pain
- Fracture: break in your shoulder socket or ball
Dr. Shah starts by making an exact diagnosis or verifying your current diagnosis, so he can customize an effective arm or shoulder pain relief plan.
How is shoulder or arm pain treated?
Shoulder pain treatment depends on its source. Dr. Shah may treat your shoulder pain with one of the following solutions.
- Subacromial injection to temporarily resolve inflammation and pain (up to four per year)
- Therapy to encourage healing of damaged shoulder tissue
- Spinal cord stimulation or stimulator implant to resolve nerve pain in your arms
- Medial branch block, a local anesthetic used in both diagnosis and treatment
- Physical therapy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Disease-modifying drugs (for rheumatoid arthritis shoulder pain)
There are also other possible options, including surgery, to offer you arm or shoulder pain relief. Dr. Shah will create a plan that works for you and your lifestyle.
How can I prevent arm and shoulder injuries?
Because arm and shoulder injuries are such a common reason for tendon, ligament, bone, and joint damage, many patients ask how they can avoid a recurrence of the same problem in the future.
Dr. Shah often recommends physical therapy not only for its use in strengthening and healing but also for its ability to teach you safer and better ways to use your arms and shoulders safely. After recovering from your arm or shoulder injury, always use proper form when exercising, lifting objects, moving your shoulder, or raising your arms above your head.
Use the online scheduling tool or call SamWell Institute for Pain Management to arrange your appointment for arm and shoulder relief now.